p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Have Feelings


(paraphrased from the orignal email)
How have you felt about some of the changes to our music at church?

A few years ago, I began feeling a need to add something else. I had been hearing about Taize music from France. A music style we might call "contemplative" is becoming popular around the country. A woman from the music team began singing some Taize chants on Sunday about a year ago. I also introduced chimes and periods of silence into worship.

If you have feelings about this you would like to express, write me back.


I waited several days before I responded. I considered not responding at all even though I have had a rather strong opinion in regards to the chants. (My family knows well my feelings and we've had several conversations regarding "the chants".) But believe it or not... I don't like to rock the boat. I was afraid that any negative response on my part would cause people to whisper behind their hands about how I ruined church for them.

I waited to reply so I could figure out why I had a problem with the chanting. I've watched others during the chanting respond favorably; eyes closed, smiling, swaying. I'm not saying everyone looks comfortable. Some look like a deer in the headlights but you know the saying, "you can't please everyone."

I just kept coming back to the last line of the email: "If you have feelings about this..."

Then after Church this Sunday I realized I don't like the Taize chants when they are not in English. (I think it may have something to do with bad memories of being forced to attend Mass in Latin as a child.) Maybe I missed the Sunday when it was explained to the congregation but I had no idea what Taize chants are or what I was supposed to be getting from it and that made it hard to like too. And I truly dislike having to repeat (or sing along) when I don't know what I'm saying (back to that non-English thing).

Anyways, I ponied up and sent my feelings via email.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

Hmmm...maybe they could distribute a translation flyer as people walk into the church?

Singing or hearing music in foreign languages is not a bad thing, as you know. Some languages are more musical than others and French, in particular, tends to be quite melodious. If God is worshipped all over the world, and he listens to all of us regardless of nationality and color, why should it matter in what language one sings his praise?

February 21, 2008 at 3:56 AM  
Blogger rod said...

I think if I'm the one praising, then I should probably know what I'm saying.
:-) jus' sayin'

March 5, 2008 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger The Teller said...

It occurred to me Sunday that its been in English for about a month now and its been a group event(my other pet peeve).

March 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home