p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

And then I cried

I went to Border's today at lunch for a little Christmas shopping. That and I wanted to see if anyone truly put their secrets in the Post Secret books on the shelf. Nope, no secrets. I was a little bummed by that. I picked up some awesome Christmas gifts. I love giving books. I don't know why, I just do.

I got in my car, pulled out, and started to drive away when I saw a man about my age with a large elderly man in his arms. The old guy was taller than the man and no help as the man tried to get him from the front seat into a wheelchair behind the car. Just as I approached, the man tried to sit the old guy in the chair but it wheeled away and he dropped the old guy on the ground. I slammed the car into park, grabbed my keys, and jumped out, yelling "hold on, I'm coming." I ran the two car lengths as the man tried to hold on to the old guy and lift him from the ground. I grabbed the run-away chair and brought it back behind the old guy as the man lifted him again. It took the two of us a couple of tries to get him settled securely in the wheelchair.

The man thanked me profusely and explained how all the handicap parking spaces were taken so he didn't have room to set the wheelchair close to the passenger door and had to carry his dad all the way behind the car. He kept thanking me as I headed back to my car.

I noticed that by leaping from my car, I had blocked 4 or 5 other cars from leaving and they were all just sitting there waiting for me to move. I turned the car back on and put it into drive. As I drove away, I realized that there were at least 20 people walking to and from Borders past this man struggling with his elderly father and not one stopped to help.

I'm not sure why, but I cried the whole way back to the office.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home