p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Career Paths for Princesses

Little princess said, “When I’m President, I’m gonna make it so you only have to work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of each week. I’m gonna be the first woman President.”

I explained that she was probably going to have to go to law school then since most presidents were first attorney’s who got into politics. I further explained why although she can be anything she wants when she grows up, she would hate the job. “Law school takes a long time and lots of money, then being a lawyer takes long hours, no short work weeks, and being President has got to be the hardest job on the planet. You basically work 24 hours a day, even on vacations you have to work.” To which she replied, “Never mind, I’ll just be a model/missionary.”

Its funny because Big Princess also wanted to be the first woman President. She even made election buttons in 5th grade. She also thought she wanted to be a lawyer. Not to discourage her but to show her the reality of it, when she was around 15 years old I sent her to spend a day with a friend who practices law. He let her sit in on a disposition and some meetings with his clients' permission. She came home and said, “That’s the most boring crap I’ve ever seen, never mind.”

Its cool that the girls don’t doubt that they could be President but I wonder what draws them to that conclusion. Surely they aren’t power hungry at the tender age of ten. It’s probably age related. That whole age of enlightenment when they are discovering they can control their destiny and the possibilities for girls today are endless.

But in the end they both want to pursue traditional female jobs. Big Princess is in college to become an art teacher and little princess wants to be a model or actress with a minor in missionary work. I’m imagining Angelina Jolie. At the same time both say they don’t want to be mothers. Big Princess says after her little sister, she’s afraid she’d have kids like little princess. And little princess says she might ruin her figure and her modeling career. Ha! Both of them crack me up and I can't resist throwing out that the only 100% way to remain childless is abstinence. I just love the look on Big Princess' face anytime I bring up sex in any fashion.

I just tell them we’ll see… we’ll see. I’m betting they’ll change their minds when they fall in love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home