p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Just a thought...

Family #2 as I like to call them, since Family #1 is the first family the church took in for shelter from the storm. Well, Family #2 has shelter but they lack food and clothing so after gathering generous donations from various members of church and dropping them off, I find out they have a car but just barely.

It was once red but now its kinda faded pink and beat up pretty bad. They couldn’t get to me last weekend for food because the windshield wipers don’t work and it was raining something fierce. I didn’t know that they were hurting for food or that the car wasn’t reliable.

But once I found out their needs and solved the “right now” needs, all I had to do was ask (first God, and then my church family) and the money was there (dare I say miracle?). I called a mechanic I know well that won’t take advantage and made arrangements to get the car into the garage. Today at lunch I drove downtown and gave the mechanic a blank check good for up to $100 with instructions to call if its more.

Ok, all that’s just background for the gist of this post:

I’m making the 30 mile return trip to the office and I start thinking:

“Its been a couple weeks now since the hurricane hit. Most of the exciting, stay turned to the news coverage is over. How many people wrote a check and said, Whew! I’m glad that’s over and Boy! do I feel better. The people affected by this wish it was so easy and I don’t think they’ll ever say, Whew! I’m glad that’s over and Boy, do I feel better.

But if every family unit, (I’m not talking just a mom, dad, & kids) to include: grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, agreed to support one displaced family, not just financially but take them into their family fold… I think everyone on both sides could say, Whew! I’m glad that’s over and Boy, do I feel better."

1 Comments:

Blogger shockcat said...

I think it's a safe bet that you are truly a good soul and a great person.

PS
Glad to hear about your job being so cool. Now, I just need to figure out what it is that you do exactly. Hard hats and fields.

Have a great day. Kyle

September 16, 2005 at 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home