p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pardon My French

My grandma's dead.

I almost didn't believe my aunt when she called me the day after my grandma died. Oh, yeah, sure she was old but I thought she'd live forever. I mean she was getting close to forever, she was pushing 91 years old but she didn't really look much more than maybe 79. And she only acted like she was about 50.

Grandma was gallivanting around the country, staying with family members til they pissed her off or she pissed them off (not really but kinda). She had left Florida, made a couple of stops to visit and was planning to stay in Maine for a while. Apparently she had a massive heart attack.

I saw her just a month ago in Indiana, almost by accident. I called my aunt to say we weren't going to be able to drive down to see her because Big Daddy's grandmother was ill and we had to rush to Nebraska and my aunt told me I was going to miss grandma by a week.

Then lo and behold, my grandma came to me. I really don't know if she changed her plans just to see us because it didn't matter to me. I got to see my grandma. My girls got to see their great-grandma (that title always seemed redundant, of course she was great). My husband got to witness a glimpse of what I may look/act like in my senior years.

Grandma was serious and silly, smart and naive, old but young, forgetful with a mind like a steel trap. She was generous with her love, her time, and her hugs. She could be stubborn and ungiving in her opinions. She was a lady that swore in French but only apologized when she swore in English.

Last month, we were all sitting around the kitchen table at my mom's house, me, the princesses, Big Daddy, an aunt and her friend, grandma, and my mom. I don't remember what set her off but grandma had a strong opinion and blurted out "That's just bullshit" and then glancing at little princess, added "Pardon my French." I had to call her on it. I looked at Big Princess, "I'm not sure but since you've had 4 years of French... Is 'bullshit' really French?" Grandma just busted up laughing.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home