p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Problem With Giving

And so it has begun. A lady in the office whom I rarely converse with gave me a Christmas gift today. I’ve only been here six months so I’m not sure what protocol is in regards to gifts. So far everyone else has just brought homemade goodies but there is still the dangerous week just prior to Christmas.

I really dislike the person who gives a gift on the very last day at the very last hour. There is no way to pull off the unplanned reciprocal gift at this point.

I have a problem with giving because you feel you have to give something. That is what most United Way programs are like in offices. It leaves most people feeling robbed. I have truly started listening to my heart and giving of myself for a greater good. But now I feel sucked into commercial gift giving with no meaning behind it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I like my co-workers but they are not my family. Just like I save my lips for kisses only from my husband (everyone else gets a cheek), I reserve the right to give gifts to only those I choose and not out of guilt because I received one. Even my extended family has drawn the line and requested gift giving amongst the children only. (see previous entry regarding my scrooge brother)

Please, I pray, don’t let my bosses gift me. I have nothing planned for them let alone my co-workers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home