p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Holiday Rubber-necking

Rubber-Necking: going about to look at places of interest

Extreme Rubber-Necking: Parking and getting out to observer the accident up close

If you really want to speed up traffic passing the accident site put up a sign "construction workers at work -- reduce speed."

Saturday Little princess and I had handbell choir at 3 pm and had been out shopping. We needed to eat but I didn’t have any cash so my usual solution is to head to KFC, one of the few fast food joints that will take a check.

As we approached the KFC I could tell something was going on, traffic was stopped across two lanes and the oncoming traffic was not oncoming. I decided to go through the strip center parking lot as were several other cars. “Ummm, I wonder if traffic is being routed through the parking lot. If so, it must be a bad accident.”

I then noticed the line of traffic not cutting across the parking lot but parking in front of the KFC and getting out of their cars. Families, teens, people putting babies in strollers and all heading not toward the KFC but towards the street. “What the…, is there a parade or maybe it’s a really big sale across the street.”

No, it was a motorcycle vs. pickup truck accident.

We went into KFC and ordered. I asked the cashier, “pretty bad accident, huh?” “Yeah, he was doing like 50 mph and popped a wheelie when a truck turned in front of him. He broke his leg and pelvis. And when his brother finds out he wrecked his motorcycle, he’s gonna get his other leg broken. But he’s conscious. That’s good.”

Wow, so much for idle chit chat. Little princess wanted to go look out the window to see if she could see the accident. She claimed she could see his toes wiggling out the back of the ambulance. Most of what we could see were rubber neckers. We ate fast so we wouldn’t be late to handbells. I couldn’t see the accident but I enjoyed watching the crowd. Who would seriously pull over, park, get the family out, set up the stroller, get the baby out of the car and into the stroller, push it across the parking lot, all to check out an accident. Gee, I know there’s not much on TV but dang, rent a movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home