p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Friday, August 12, 2005

My Daughter went to Moldova and all I got was this broken heart

Big Princess got to visit an infant orphanage just outside Chesinau last weekend, where kids from birth to about 4 or 5 years old live. This was the only time they would get to visit with them since they are there to work with the older kids at a difference orphanage, so they brought candy and little toys for quick party and play time. As they got ready to leave, they realized that they brought candy and toys to 27 little ones who don't even have a pair of shoes. The team was so moved by this realization that they “passed the hat” amongst the approx. 27 people on the team and raised $725. Mind you, they were told not to bring much money, safety reasons and all. Big Princess took $100 for lunch each day and souvenirs. I’m betting she’s a little hungry and that I’m not getting much in the souvenirs department. We’ll both survive. I’m also betting that the final $100 Big Princess owed on this trip to one Very Special Person (the mostly cash that I pressed into his hands at the airport) probably won't make it back to his bank.

2 Comments:

Blogger rod said...

I know I must seem like one of those guys that always has to respond to a story with a story. I'm really not. It's just that we seem to be leading parallel lives at the moment. Sorta.
I went to Moldova for several summers, starting in 1996. On one of the trips, my first flight from here to Charlotte was oversold, so I couldn't get on board. One of my bags was a gargantuan duffle with about 75 pairs of shoes in it. I found a ride to Charlotte and arrived just minutes before the gates were closed, so I was hoofing it through the terminal with my suitcase, the shoe duffle that was bigger than me, and my carry on. I just made it. But.... Anyway... the feet that eventually wore those shoes were beautiful and well worth the hassle of getting them there. Hoorah for big Princess

August 12, 2005 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger The Teller said...

Rod, I don't mind your stories at all. We do seem to have a lot in common. One year ago I'd never heard of Moldova now it will never be far from my heart. The shoe shortage is still a problem and next time my daughter goes she will be wrestling a gargantuan duffle full of shoes. My friend told me last night as he came off the plane that I should never go to Moldova because he knew I'd never come back.

August 15, 2005 at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home