p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why I've basically done nothing for 3 days

So we're nearing the end of the fiscal year and the boss decides we should spend all leftover funds. This from the man that makes me justify why I stay at the Hyatt across the street from the Houston office instead of the Holiday Inn at the airport. The taxi fare from the Holiday Inn each day more than offsets the cost difference.

So I send the order down to IT for the scanner I've been wanting. Friday IT calls and asks if they can bring it up and install it. "Sure, any time is good." They come up and discover that the scanner is incompatible with windows NT so they have to go back downstairs and build me a new computer.

Well, about 2:30 pm my boss says lets call it a day. This guy never lets me go home early and the one time he does, I can't leave. I'm waiting on an emergency check request from accounting. (You can beg for a check to be cut and then take off for the weekend. You'll never get anything on time again.)

So I wrap up the thing with the check and start gathering my stuff to go when IT brings up the new computer. I have to hang another hour and a half to make sure they transfer all the programs and files correctly. I finally get out of the office at 4:30. Down time 4 hrs.

Monday I come in and I can't print and I have to set up everything on my computer. The boss offers to take me to lunch and then decides that since only 25 out of 120 employees showed up today we should knock off right after lunch. IT never got me totally up and running. Down time 3 hrs and I only worked 4 hrs.

Today? I still can't print and I realize I'm missing the software to view faxes (they come directly into my computer). They get the software loaded but it won't print and they can't figure out why. Every freakin person in the office has this software. Time wasted this morning, 3 hrs. Come lunch time my boss decides its time to move. By 3 pm I can start moving into his old cube since he's out and in his new office. So IT comes up and spends 2 hrs moving my computer, scanner and phone.

Scanner $250, new computer $1,000, three unproductive days priceless.

Wait, its about to get better. Theres a little more money in the technology budget. Wait until IT discovers that I bought a label printer today and it should be here by the end of the week.

Label printer $189, calling IT to come up and install another piece of equipment...well, I might get my ass kicked but it will totally be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home