p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Big Princess goes to school

We all went to take Big Princess to college, 2 vehicles + 1 friend. Move-in started at 9 am Saturday and I wanted to get there early so that the upper classmen that help move all your crap to your room would be fresh and ready to roll when we pulled up. I figured in the Texas heat they would only be eager to help for a couple hours before the heat sapped their enthusiasim for moving 50 freshmen boxes to the third floor. So figuring a 1 hr 45 min. drive, we left the house at 7 am and had everything loaded the night before. (Extra 15 minutes = Starbucks, duh!)

This plan would have been exceptional except for the fact that Austin decided Saturday morning would be a great time to do road construction and had the highway down to 1 lane, 1 friggin lane. Our 2 hour drive turned into 3 and a half hours. Thank goodness we had several Queen cd's to choose from and Starbucks. Nothing beats sipping Starbuck's iced mocha and belting out Queen songs at the top of your lungs. Did I mention that Big Daddy was in the other vehicle, the one not full of girls?

Move-in went fine. Big Daddy didn't understand why he had to assemble the 6' wire storage unit (because it gave him something to do besides watch us unpack) or why I insisted on totally unpacking her. (I didn't want her to have an excuse to stay in her room after we left.) The only problem was that her sheets didn't fit her bed, extra long twin, go figure. I told her to pick up a set a the brand new WalMart. We got her registered and all that rigamarole, took her to lunch, met her room mate and her parents and said our good-byes. No problems from Big Daddy, little princess or I, but Big Princess and Best Friend hugged for like 10 minutes, on the edge of crying, rocking back and forth. I finally had to warn Big Princess that her room mate might interpert this as lesbian behavior and to break it up.

So far, other than professing boredness, Big Princess' major problems have been the Walmart not carrying extra long twin sheets, (calm down, I shipped her a mattress cover and sheets yesterday) and the last text book costing $75 and that would take all the cash she had (hello, the checking account we set up together is for this type of thing and not pizza or gas).

I do miss her and I have called her everyday but I'm excited for her too. I do hate that she is at an age where she won't give me much detail. I want to know everything but I guess part of growing up is not telling your mom everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home