p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Ready, Set, Go!

My husband and my kids, heck the dog is probably in on it too, have a weekly race to see how many groceries they can eat within 24 hours of shopping. It’s nothing to be out of food by Monday.

I usually grocery shop on Saturday’s. I buy something special for Sunday dinner, maybe butterfly porkchops or something gourmet and something special for dessert too.

Then comes the stuff for school lunches, drink pouches, individual cookie and jello packs. You know, stuff to make it easy enough for them to pack their own lunches.

Then I shop for my husband. He has to have Gatorade for work, 2 bottles per day. He likes breakfast sandwiches for break-time at work, 1 large box. He needs high calorie snacks to maintain his weight, so bags of his favorite cookies, TV dinners, boxes, of cereal, oatmeal pies, ice cream.

The smallest portion of my grocery list is stuff for dinner all week and a couple of frozen meals for my lunch.

I get home after spending anywhere between $150-$200, bring it in, put it away, close the last cupboard and …the RACE IS ON!

Usually within minutes, cookies are opened, cereal is eaten. Then comes the covert operations of eating it without me seeing them. So much so that when I begin making Sunday dinner I sometimes don’t have what I was planning to make.

“Where the hell are the strawberries I just bought yesterday? ”

“Oh, did you need those? I ate them at 3 am this morning.”

“All of them? They haven't been in this house for 12 hours yet. So what am I supposed to do with the shortcakes I’ve already made for strawberry shortcake?”

“Just leave them on the counter, I’ll get to them.”

Then come Monday morning…

“Mom, can I have some money for lunch?”

“No, go make your lunch.”

“I can’t there’s nothing out there…”

3 Comments:

Blogger rod said...

I swear I will never go to Austin again without emailing you and telling you we're going to be there. Wish I had when Al and I were there in October.
I don't know, maybe all fams are the same, but there seems to be more similarity here.
You described our family so perfectly. My middle prince (little princess's age) eats constantly. Makes himself a meal at least 6 times a day. They have the leftovers from supper, not the next day, but at about 8:00 the same evening.
I'm just as bad. Especially cereal and cookies.
Fortunately, it's Lent.

March 3, 2006 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger The Teller said...

My husband will eat a TV dinner right before I get home to make dinner. Sometimes I'll make a huge meal and he'll have a bowl of cereal right afterwards and then dessert.

Rod, I wish I had your email or you mine without me having to post it on the site for the world. (Promised Big Daddy I would never.)

Next time ya'll go to Austin, we're having kick-tail Mexican food together!

That's part of the reason I tell my stories here...I want to find out how weird we are or is everyone this way?

A friend of mine's husband died a couple weeks ago. She called and asked if we could get together. She said she just needed to laugh again. I regaled her with princesses stories until she begged me to stop.

March 3, 2006 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger rod said...

P.S. -
You know we're big Mexican cuisine lovers. Chuy's is worth the trip to Tejas, and I know there are countless other great establishments.
yes, stories are the salve that makes life bearable. I've always marveled at the irony in the idea that life-stories get us through tough times and tough times become life stories that get us through tough times...
If you're interested for real, you can hit my contact button on this page

March 4, 2006 at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home