p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Stand Up for God, Stand down for politics

This is the lesson I taught little princess on ‘the fly’ last night. “Stand up loudly for your God but just nod your head when someone starts bashing your political candidate.”

We were attending a children’s meeting at a member’s home last night and little princess told the nice mommy that she hoped Kerry won. The woman went bezerk on her, ranting about gay rights and the evil known as Kerry. Little princess started to defend her candidate and I quickly grabbed her and quietly explained how she should respond to people like this. The woman had her computer in her family room and spent the meeting tallying the numbers herself, cackling and gloating over every state confirmed for her candidate.

Now for the record, my girls actually listened to the debates and have followed the issues. They have asked me questions I couldn’t answer. “Mommy, what does Bush plan to do about social security?” My darling, don’t worry, I don’t think you’ll get any of that. “Hey Mom, what’s Kerry’s plan to balance the budget?” Look sweetie, I know you missed getting to vote this time by 30 days but I promise there will still be a need to balance the budget next go round.

My girls have actually seen Kerry in person. My last job in PR required me to do a lot of political rallies and I dragged them with me. Maybe that influenced their democratic leanings. They feel like they know him, having seen him in person. I know Bush’s elementary school faces bothered them during the debates. “What, is he in, like, 5th grade or what?” “Mom, you smack me when I make those faces.”

After the meeting, the woman calmly re-explained to my 10-year-old daughter why Kerry was scum of the earth. Little princess just nodded her head with a look on her face like she was giving therapy.

“And how does that make you feel?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home