p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I'm gonna try it

wink -- (closing one eye quickly as a signal)

Who winks any more? I can remember older people doing it when I was small. It was usually some conspiracy between grandparents and grandchildren meant to leave parents out of the loop.

“I’m just going to take little Johnny with me to the drug store.”
“Ok, Pops, but no soda or candy. Dinner will be ready in an hour.”
“Sure, no soda or candy, I got it.” Wink, wink to little Johnny.

Then there were the friendly middle-aged men that seemed to wink a greeting to everyone. Now, these were men whose children were grown and who wore hats regularly, not just to church. They called women “Ma’am” and young ladies “Miss”. Boys were referred to as “Young Man” and everyone else was “Sir”. They tipped their hats and winked in greeting when passing you on the sidewalk.

There’s a man in my office who winks. It’s not a tic and I don’t think we have some conspiracy between us. He’s not flirting. He’s just friendly. He calls me Ma’am and offers to carry boxes for me. He whistles while he works. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen and heard him get pissed off but he always seems to be able to shrug it off with a wink.

It’s hard to be angry and wink. Try it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home