p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Thursday, March 31, 2005

You know what’s bugging me today?

Those adorable stickers on the rear windows of vehicles that proudly proclaim Little Johnny plays T-Ball for the NE Stars or Little Suzie takes gymnastics at the Northside Gymnastics Center. The stickers grow as the child grows. Billy plays the drums in the high school band. Betty is a cheerlead on the Varsity Squad. Want to know what school they attend? The sticker will tell you.

My princesses have been in more than their fair share of clubs and groups: swimming, baseball, volleyball, band, choir, ballet, soccer, girl scouts, FFA, 4-H. All of these groups have tried to sell me stickers at ridiculously inflated prices so that I too may tell the world how dang proud I am and so that everyone may know that I’m a good parent because my kids are in activities and not on the street.

Both girls have begged me to put these stickers on the car window. That is, until I explained why no one should have a sticker on their window.

When I’m behind someone with stickers on their car and they park and get out, I want to walk over and ask “How’s Johnny doing in T-Ball? I didn’t make it to the last game but now that I know what he looks like and where he plays, I might just stop by.” Or when the vehicle is parked in the drive way and the kids are in the front yard, I’d like to drive up and yell, “Hi Suzie, where’s your mom?”

It’s kind of sick. No, its really sick. But that’s what sick people do, right?

I just can’t believe parents would give total strangers their children’s names and activities. If they see the child with the vehicle, they now know what the child looks like. If the vehicle is at home, they now know the names of the occupants, and now the sticker tells them the location of where the child might be out of the parents’ sight, taking classes or playing games.

I’m no genius but I can’t believe no one else has thought of how this information could be used to harm children. I don’t need to tell people I don’t know how great my kids are. I’m too busy telling the people who know me and my kids how proud I am of my girls. I don’t need a sticker to tell anyone for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home