p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Friday, December 23, 2005

Arghhh, I did it to myself

I had deemed 3 pm today as my last commitment to anyone that wasn't me. All I had to do was deliver the last family we adopted for the holidays and work 1 hr at the bingo hall for the lions club.

I arrived at the appointed meeting place at quarter til noon. They didn't show up until 12:15. I was getting grumpy. Partly because I hadn't eaten yet and mostly because I don't like to wait. I consider waiting as wasting time. Then they pulled up. They were an adorable couple and they had 3 of their 5 kids with them. I peered inside to see them all buckled up in car seats (which much relieved me) and noticed the 2 yr old had a large cast on her leg. I inquired gently what the cast was for. A neighbor had given them a trampoline 2 days ago. The 2 yr old broke her leg on it yesterday. I don't attribute that to lack of parenting at all but the inherent danger of trampolines. They were do genuinely grateful I thought we all might break into tears at any moment. I can honestly say I have not been so well hugged in all my life. (and I do church with some notoriously good huggers.)

Headed to the bingo hall and got there early. I had to stand around for about 30 min. Great! and I forgot my crocheting bag, so I'd have to sit there for atleast an hour and do nothing. Just put bamboo under my nails and get it over with. Due to arriving early I saw a woman I used to work with about 5 yrs ago. I knew that since I'd left the company, the company had shafted her. Fired her, gave her severance pay and then told everyone that she had quit. She has been working odd jobs here and there and said she had been laid off in Nov. and was desperately looking for work. I gave her my number and asked to contact me and I'd put in a word with the HR dept. From there I worked my shift and went home.

Yea, I was done with commitments for 10 whole days. I was planning to lay around on vacation, get a massage, take little princess horseback riding. You know, a lot of nothing.

Then I get the call. "Hello? this is L and I've got great news. Remember you offered to take me to midnight mass at the catholic church and I said I couldn't go since I had to work? Well, they are going to let me off at 3 pm and mass is at 11 pm."

Great! Another commitment. I'd done it to myself.

If it turns out anything like today. I'll be annoyed until I get caught up in the moment and am filled with the spirit and I won't be able to remember why I was annoyed in the first place.

I think I need to learn that waiting is God's time, putting me in the right place for the right reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home