p.s. I Love You

I may be funny to my friends but my family just thinks I'm strange.

Name:
Location: French Guiana

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sad and Sick or Sick and Sad

I came down with a nasty head cold on Sunday at the tail end of me and Big Daddy's "Adult Slumber Party". We ditched the kids and spent the weekend in a dreamy place where we were called by our first names, ate adult food and drank adult beverages. Where we cuddled mid-day without anyone making vomitting noises in the background.

But anyway... I've been hit hard. I came home early Monday, stayed home Tuesday, came to work drugged to the hilt Wednesday, and today I'm just trying to hold on to my sanity with both hands while my head throbbs, yellow mucus pours from my red, raw nose, and I hold the ovary that I coughed up in my left hand.

What's the first thing that happens today? I get an employee termination notice from the HR Director. Hmmm, that's odd. Her staff normally email me the terminations. I open it to see that one of my best friends has been "terminated as of late last night". Holy fucking shit. The one day I didn't talk to him in the last 2 months and he's fired.

Wait... terminated as of late last night? I'm notified by the HR Director? Oh, this is beyond bad.

I call his cell phone and its acting funny, not ringing. I call his home phone and its been disconnected. I'm a little freaked out at this point. I ponder who I can call for information that will: A. have the correct info (not the 50 rumors that are already rampant) and B. will feel comfortable giving me the info, and C. won't get in trouble for telling me.

Only a couple of people that meet all the criteria come to mind. I call one and tell him "hey, I understand if you can't talk about it... but what the fuck happened?" That's all I had to say, he knew exactly what I was talking about. He gave me a brief run down before someone walked into his office and he couldn't talk any more. Let's just say a drunk CEO fired my extremely drunk friend at an after hours function.

That's just bad juju ma gumbo.

My friend finally calls me at 3 pm. He tells me his side of the story and I inquire if there is any way to put this right. He said no, it was beyond repair. He's a proud guy and I didn't think he'd beg for his job. He's worked here for 20 years and now its all gone.

I'm just so very, very sad.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger rod said...

we've had a ton of that stuff happening lately too. In both my spheres (church and school). I already had a hard time differentiating between working at a church or worshipping at school, but when this stuff happens equally in all areas and in patterned frequency, it's an emotional/spiritual nightmare. I so don't want to be a "christian" anymore. I just want to be a Jesus-follower.
I'm so sorry for the situation with your friend. I appreciate your feeling so very very sad.

May 10, 2007 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home